15 February 2014

No brainer


When you are paying RM110 per month for a 1MB/s internet line with no upgrade option, while you really need at least 2MB/s line for online conference (unless you want to wake up at 5a.m. to go to work in time for the 7a.m. meetings), and another service provider is giving 8MB/s line for RM129 per month, well, it's really a no brainer for me.

speed test from service provider site

Alrighty, so I am getting the 8MB/s line I am subscribing to, at least that's what the speed test from the service provider is saying. =)

Before going into some actual application speed tests, let's talk about the cons first. For me, this switch has two downsides, the first being the drilling of holes and installation of the fibre optic cable along the walls.

entry point of the fibre optic cable into my wet kitchen

It's a necessary evil for getting the true fibre optic performance all the way to the modem, instead of some rip off that switch to copper phone line at some stage.

through my dish and laundry washing area

Some people may not like it, but I am fine with it, most of the cable length is at areas guests don't frequent anyway. =P

the last leg of the cable prior to connecting to the modem is at a more visible area

The second downside is that we have to change phone number, and it's an internet phone, not the conventional copper wire phone. This carries more weight for me and if the original service provider has upgrade option with comparable price, I might just have gone with it to save the hassle of changing phone number.

Oh well, too bad the original service provider sucks left me with no choice.

So heads up to those who have my home phone number, please contact me to get the new number, the current number will be terminated in about two weeks time.


Alrighty, speed test from the service provider site is all good and dandy, but what I care is what is the actual speed I get for applications I use, so I did some checks.

woot! ~940KB/s for connection to Blizzard!

Looks like I will be a happy gamer once again, no more disadvantage in PvP or bastards stealing my nodes. MY nodes, you hear! =P

hmm... ~260KB/s for a random online movie

Not sure if 260KB/s is good enough for uninterrupted streaming, but it sure is better than ~30KB/s.

Anyway, random movie is not as important as Running Man download, so...

woohoo! connection to Running Man download site is better at ~690KB/s

Alrighty, I am happy. ^_^


No comments: