06 January 2016

Shattered


At the time of writing this, I am fever-free for about 16 hours straight.

For six days and six nights I had been down with fever. It's due to a bacterial infection at the throat, which might have been a follow on after a viral infection. At least that's what the doctor interpreted based on some blood test indicators. The blood test was mainly to determine if I got dengue, which I don't, phew.

Anyway, I don't function well when my body temperature is above 38 Celsius and I take medicine when it hits 39 Celsius or above. I took medicine for fever 16 times in the first five days. In the sixth day, the temperature never broke 38 Celsius so I let the body handled it.

The fourth day night was a horrible night. I don't know whether I was delirious, hallucinating, or whatever. I couldn't sleep and I kept seeing things that I have never seen before, pictures, places, faces, stuff that kept flashing by whenever I closed my eyes.

They were not terrible or horrible things really, and probably I would even appreciate them if I was not so sick and just wanted to sleep, but they kept appearing and flashing by nonstop they unsettled me.

They seemed and felt so real I kept having to open my eyes to reassure myself that I was still in my bed, but as soon as I close my eyes they returned. I felt like I was going crazy.

That was a horrible, horrible night.

Around 16:00 hours on the sixth day was when I felt more like a human again, still had fever but nothing more than 38 Celsius. As I said in the beginning, I am about 16 hours since anything above 37.5 Celsius, I am hoping the fever part is done and all I have to do now is to finish the antibiotic course and put myself together again.

Wrecked and shattered, that's how I feel now. I need some time to really recover from this.

What a way to end and start a year...


No comments: